Don't Mess Around with Basement Mold - Select Basement Waterproofing New Jersey 07751

Don’t Mess Around with Basement Mold

Don’t Mess Around with Basement Mold

The Importance of Basement Mold Detection and Removal

Whether or not you’ve got a finished basement, a soon-to-be-finished basement, or just a musty old storage space you don’t really live in, it is important that you pay attention to potential basement mold growth.

Believe it or not, mold is a living organism, and it can be very harmful to the health of you and your family. Mold doesn’t need much to start developing a colony; only 60% relative humidity and as little as 24 hours. Scary, huh? Fortunately, the risk of health-related issues due to toxic black mold can be greatly reduced by taking immediate action, or avoided altogether by taking preventative action.

If you hadn’t had a chance to take preventative action, and mold has already taken up residence in your home, here’s a quick tip for killing it:

  • (Wearing a dust mask) Spray a 10/1 water to bleach mixture on the affected areas. Take a firm sponge and scrub the entire area for 2-3 minutes, spraying more solution if necessary. Repeat this process 3 times over the next 2 weeks, and you will have effectively killed your mold colonies. Alternatively, you may use hydrogen peroxide in your solution.

Got another tip? Let us know in the comments below!

It is important to recognize, however, that spot treatment may not be the long-term solution to your basement mold epidemic. If moisture is still infiltrating your home, mold will just find somewhere else to grow. In this case, you may want to consider having a basement waterproofing professional inspect your home for water penetration, foundation cracking, and other potential sources of excess moisture. Contact us for more information.

Check back for more, and share this post with your friends!

Author Bio

Jerome Fokas

Jerome Fokas

Jerome Fokas is the President of Select Basement Waterproofing, and has more than 15 years of professional basement waterproofing installation and ownership experience.

1 Comment

  1. Tony - December 1, 2012

    “Whenever you detect the presence of mold in your home remove it because they are highly toxic and pose danger to your home. There are various remediation for the elimination of mold. The first step you should follow to keep the place dry as possible you can by ventilation because moisture is the root cause for the formation of mold.
    Next thing is to clean the place with some sort of antimicrobial chemical and if you think the level of mold is high it is better to call up a professional. “